Saturday, November 7, 2015

Religion In My Family

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons).  I was raised by Latter-day Saint parents. I come from a heritage of 6 generations of Latter-day Saints. 

So that there is no doubt in anyone's mind:

I know that Jesus Christ lives.  I know that his life on this earth was precipitated by his glorified, physical, eternal Father in Heaven and his very mortal mother, Mary.  I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ is very much in charge of this world and all that has been created here.  I know that the Lord Jesus Christ has called, through all generations of time, prophets who were and are charged with communicating his will to the inhabitants of this world.

He said, "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself, and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same".

I know the doctrines and policies published over the last few days by the Church to be truly the doctrine established by the Lord Jesus Christ and communicated to the world through the Prophet and Apostles He has called. 

I am disturbed to have learned that some of my grandchildren are being taught differently.  I am greatly disappointed to have learned that religion is apparently disregarded and in fact denigrated.  I wonder how many generations of my descendants will be affected by this disregard.  I wonder how many souls will be lost. 

While I cannot change the decisions made by my offspring and cannot live their lives for them, I worry constantly about the decisions that are made that push them away from the teachings learned in their youth.  I worry about how far-reaching the consequences of those decisions will be. 

I can, and do, pray for those of my descendants that are so affected.  I love each of my children and grandchildren more than they will probably ever know.  I worry about them probably more than I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment