Saturday, December 3, 2011

Embarking Upon a New Season

Let it SNOW!

We've enjoyed some snowfall, here in Paradise, over the last few days.  In fact, it is snowing now.  I like how clean and fresh the snow leaves the air and the landscape.  It's too bad our political discourse can't take a page out of mother nature's book. 

Wouldn't it be nice if the election cycle were limited to six months instead of 4 years or longer?  I think we'd have a much better turnout and a better election review if campaigning for federal office could not begin until 6 months before the election.  I'm sure I'm not the only person that gets tired of all the political clap-trap that goes on the moment an election result is announced.  And the next election is 2, 4 or 6 years away! 

The electorate is becoming tired of the rhetoric.  This group or individual bashing that group or individual.  You'd think we have 4 year-olds tattling on each other.  Isn't it enough that we get that with our children?  We don't need supposed adults running to "mama" (the press) with some juicy tidbit that might bring down a campaign, destroy an individual and/or his family, and make the entire populace uncomfortable.  I wonder when good manners went out of fashion.  I remember my dear mother telling me something like this, "If you can't say something nice about him, don't say anything at all."  I believe slander is slander even when the target is a public personality.  I don't especially want to hear it. 

To me all this wrangling feels like a war!  Indeed there are no violent weapons, but people are destroyed nonetheless.  Families are cartwheeled into chaos.  Individuals are tossed onto the dung heap of political waste with no consideration at all.  I believe those who perpetrate this kind of assassination should be isolated.  I suspect it will never happen because people enjoy watching the destruction of others.  I don't understand it, but I know that to be the case.

Rodney King, scoundrel that he was, made a good point.  "Can't we all just get along?"  I think our political lives depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment