Tuesday, April 17, 2012

39 Years of Marital Bliss

Today I need to express my love for my Princess Bride. 

39 years ago today she looked at me across the alter and said "Yes" to the question of being my wife, lover, confidant, companion, housekeeper and friend.  And in just a few days she will experience her 60th birthday. 

Over the years we've been poverty stricken, fairly well-to-do, and all points between.  Today we live modestly on a very modest wage.  At the end of the school year she will leave her employment and again be a stay-at-home mother, grandmother, and wife.

She has been a stalwart support to me over the years when I was much gone from home and she had to deal with the children, home,  schools, and bills alone.  I would drift by occasionally and say hello, sleep for 6 hours and leave again.

When we were first married I had in mind to enjoy 4 children.  She had other thoughts and we wound up with 7 natural children.  Along the way I semi-adopted two more.  We love each of them.  We are grateful for their talents.  Even our children that refused to take music lessons are musically inclined and are doing something to develop that talent.  Three of them play the piano, one plays the trumpet, one plays the trombone, one plays the sax (good son that he is), one plays the guitar,  and one plays the stereo.  One left this earth a little early so didn't get much chance to develop her musical talent.  Each of them learned to love music because of their mother.

I have no idea how she did so well.  I asked our children to write letters to their mothers expressing their love and respect to her.  They have done well.  Each one has expressed their feelings in a way that brings tears to my eyes.  She has been the rudder that has kept our family headed in the right direction.

I admire my Princess Bride.  When I saw her the first time 45 years ago, I knew she was someone I should get to know.  However, we didn't live in the same town and I kinda lost sight of her for a few years.  Just over 39 years ago I knew I couldn't live without her.  I'm grateful that she agreed.  I love her, I admire her, she lights up the room for me when she come in, she is the balance that keeps me upright.

I wish every man could have wife and relationship as perfect as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment