Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I'm A Little Heavy of Heart

I hope that you'll forgive me for a personal note today.

Most of you know that I'm a family man.  I have a fairly large family, and I love each of my children and their respective companions.  It disappoints me that I apparently have not shared my feelings sufficiently with my children.  Here is the reason for my statement:

This past weekend we had an unplanned family event.  Our Air Force son and his wife came to visit from a long distance unannounced.  We were pleased to see them and to enjoy them for a family birthday party honoring him and his twin brother.   We contacted each of our children that live close by and let them know we were planning family events for the weekend while we were able to watch LDS General Conference.  Each of my children that live close by came with spouse in tow to honor the birthday celebration of of my youngest two except one son and his wife.  I am pretty disappointed that neither he nor she responded to any communication, and didn't at least honor us with a note declining to come.  They just plain ignored the event all together.  What topped the whole thing was a facebook note telling how much fun was had playing football on Sunday.
 

I thought I had taught my children to enjoy each other and honor each other's special days.  I now must admit my failure.   Failure as a father to teach my children is one of the most horrible thought I an imagine.

I've struggled over the past three days how to approach my failure and how to express my disappointment without being too condemning.  I admit that I am still having trouble with it.  Perhaps some of you can help me come to grips with this awful situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment